Tuesday 16 September 2014

Shirt Up!

If I were to pick one style statement from the streets of all fashion capitals and freeze it right there....in that moment...whether it is soaking up the warm steam of a coffee mug at an open cafe, getting ruffled to find a spot inside a busy night club, or bringing out the peachy blush of a first date, it's gotta be the versatile and deceitfully playful shirt dress. It's an all-time classic, understated and silent, and yet when you don't see it catwalking down the runway, it leaves you edging off your seat and wondering whatever happened to it.

But this feat of clever fashion is not just a cool, boyfriend-hacked, nonchalant piece of clothing. Sure, all it asks for is a good laundry before slipping it on, to splash on all over your travel diaries and day dates in places where a dress code's non-existent . But I think it's a bit crafty; it lends itself effortlessly to new meanings...It's the stepping stone of a Tomboy into embracing her feminine side. Yea, just like wearing a shirt, only longer and no pants. It's a saving grace for a new mum nursing her baby; she can occasionally come up for air to feel sexy and confident, after a long-stretched period of being drowned in her oversized maternity clothes. And what more, it's so accessible that it goes with everything. It's sort of like a cool cat with many trendy reincarnations.  (Well, probably not as many as the fashion faux-pas of the Kardashian sisters.)

My love with the shirt dress began as a 13-year old, when dressing up like my own gender was equivalent to going to a costume party. But then one day, I went shopping with a friend to one of those dingy, disorganized places that everyone raves about but where when you go looking, you only find clothes that smell like death and give you a suspicious sort of rash. Fortunately for me, I came across a signature, zippered denim shirt dress. It was the perfect length and fit, and it made me feel feminine in small doses, which was all I could ask for in a dress at that time. As it was the first dress that made me swoon like a little girl,  it only seemed proper I wore it to my first solo travel to Dubai (with another family though). Of course, my dad wasn't as thrilled to bits about it. I distinctly remember him saying out loud, "You forgot to put your pants on" when he saw me in it.... in front of the nice people I was to travel with. I gave him a steely stare and was about to launch into my personal rendition of "Smells Like Teen Spirit"...but instead I smiled. That dress...it already felt like it belonged.
But I know what you're thinking. A shirt dress is breezy and relaxed thus is a staple summer feature. What has it got to do with the moment, considering we're bidding adieu to the monsoons now and inching towards fall/winter. (But hey, who's ever heard of winters in Mumbai, right?)

And this is what I'm here to show you. How this sneaky item of clothing can not only transition from spring to fall but transform itself from a cute girl-next-door to a sharp, austere woman who means business to a seductive Sharon Stone-like demi-goddess.

Here are my top 5 picks,  randomly collected from movies and fashion mags:

1. The Holiday Shirtdress:
I'm in love with Rachel McAdams 80's, Ralph Lauren-inspired, belted shirt dresses in Midnight in Paris. The classic belted shirt dress in crisp natural fabrics like linen, light as summer breeze, couldn't make a day dress look more flattering and fuss-free.
Pair it with flats or wedges, put on a bit of blush (or just pinch your cheeks hard enough) and let your over-sized slouchy hobo do all the drama.
Image Source: Clothesonfilm
2. The Work and Play Shirtdress:
I think this is a great dress to fall upon for one of those days when you've gotta transition from workdesk to cocktail dinner and you don't have the luxury of a change in outfit. A cinched silk shirtdress in a fun, abstract print with a statement belt is flirty and feminine (without causing an unnecessary stir at work, of course).
Image Source: Bestfashionblog
3. The Fancy-Pants Brunch Shirt Dress:
I mean who says a shirt dress has to look like an elongated shirt when you can tweak it with a cascade of swooping under-layers and adorn it with a fierce belt? Style it with nude flats or gladiators and an envelope clutch.
Image Source:Vogue
4. The Shirt Gown:
Isn't it amazing that you can do your own fairy tale thing in a shirt? Opt for a shirt gown in airy fabrics and soft pastels. Feeling adventurous? Add to that a scandalous mid-thigh high cut and you're sure to stop traffic everywhere. (But hey, for the sake of frustrated commuters, please don't try this in Mumbai.)
Image Source: Pernia's Pop-Up Shop
5. The Fall-Summer Shirt Dress:
I mean yes, for places where the temperatures drop a significant amount in fall, the shirt dress is not practical. You can still layer it with sweaters and overcoats, add a snuggly scarf and get your smashing knee-length boots on. But if you happen to live in a place where winter just signifies a change in color palette and silhouettes, then try this one. A simple black or olive drop-waist shirt dress in a fluid fabric such as silk with a plunging neckline and a midi-length. Glam it up with a chunky neckpiece and pointed-toe pumps and voila! You've nailed the science of chic. Nothing spells more oomph and femininity as this one, I say.
Image Source: Elle
Personally, I can't wait to get my hands on the fall-summer shirt dress and the shirt gown as I've pledged undying love for this fabulous invention. I'd like to call it the summer of my life rippling all over fall and winter :).


2 comments:

  1. Hi Shalini
    Fantastic .This is my personal favorite. Good coverage

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sujata! Glad you enjoyed it :).

    ReplyDelete